Project “VELO-VELIKY NOVGOROD” of cycle-infrastructure development in Veliky Novgorod
Detailed description of the Good Practice
“VELO-VELIKy Novgorod” Project of development of the city’s cycle-infrastructure started on January 17, 2008. Over the year the cyclists have succeeded in:
• Proving their worth as a prominent civilian power,
• Conducting a lot of interesting events (cycling orienteering, delivery of the mayor’s congratulations on the 9 May to veterans, the Elk’s Day in the park of the 30th Anniversary of October, cycle-rally on the Youth Day, etc.),
• Gaining support of the City Duma’s deputies, department of ecology of the Administration of Veliky Novgorod, representatives of the business community of the Public Chamber of the Novgorod region.
On January 14, 2009 section 14 “Town-planning activities and land relations” of the “Programme of Social-Economic Development of Veliky Novgorod for 2009 and the Planning Period of 2010 and 2011” FOR THE FIRST TIME in the history of the city was amended with the phrase “WITH A VIEW TO DEVELOPMENT OF THE CYCLE-INFRASTRUCTURE THE PROGRAMME WILL PROVIDE FOR DESIGN AND ARRANGEMENT OF BICYCLE TRACKS”. The mayor’s office promises to put 3 city bicycle tracks into operation by autumn 2009.
Sustainable development, transport, healthy lifestyle
Objectives of the Good Practice
The objectives of the project “VELO-VELIKY NOVGOROD” of cycle-infrastructure development are:
1) uniting efforts of Novgorod residents of various age and status for cycle-infrastructure development in the city;
2) providing consulting assistance to authorities in apprehending and implementing the possibilities of cycle-infrastructure development (bicycle tracks, bike-stands, etc.) in the historical city;
3) conducting a broad mass media campaign of informing the citizens about the activities and objectives of “VELO-VELIKY NOVGOROD” project;
4) varying the citizens’ leisure by cycle-events of various kind;
5) improving the cycling culture.
Participants of the Good Practice
• Mass media,
• NPO Union of journalists of Russia,
• STSI of the city,
• The Duma of Veliky Novgorod,
• The Committee of information policy of the Administration of the Novgorod region,
• The Administration of Veliky Novgorod,
• “Novgorofgrazhdanstroy” LLC,
• “TaksoparkPlus” school of motoring,
• “Post of Russia”,
• Non-government organizations
Target group of the Good Practice
1) cyclists themselves – with a view to their uniting into a cycling community;
2) local authorities – with a view to apprehending and implementing the possibilities of cycle-infrastructure development (bicycle tracks, bike-stands, etc.) in the historical city;
3) mass media – with a view to informing the citizens about the problems, activities and objectives of “VELO-VELIKy Novgorod” project;
4) citizens – with a view to their apprehending the benefits of cycling round the city and varying their leisure through cycling.
Funding of the Good Practice
Nobody has ever financed “VELO-VELIKY NOVGOROD” project of cycle-infrastructute development in the city. This civilian initiative is supported exclusively by the enthusiasm and common sense of the project’s participants.
Funding appears only in implementation of sports and leisure cycling events; mometary aid is provided by
• social movement “Image of the Future”,
• the mayor’s office through the city subsidy for holding the second cycling holiday in autumn 2009 in the park of the 30th Anniversary of October consolidating the tradition of the city holiday of the Elk’s Day,
• “Post of Russia”,
• “Dyuk-Holding” group of companies,
• “Moto-Velo” shop
More Details of the Good Practice
The cycling community tries to stop being a “decorative” example of civic engagement in Veliky Novgorod. To achieve this we try:
1. To exercise public control over implementation of the proposals for cycle-infrastructure development introduced by cyclists into the concept of the city development and the master plan REQUIRING:
1) inclusion of the solution of the problem of design and arrangement of bicycle tracks and other elements of road cycle-infrastructure (traffic lights, crossings, road markings, road signs etc.) on a regular basis into the procedure of consideration of issues of development of the road-transport network on Novgorod and Novgorod district;
2) development of the local normative act regulating the variants and standards of improvement of bicycle tracks and other elements of cycle-infrastructure;
3) development of the cycle-infrastructure as the target programme within the frames of realizing the tourist potential of Novgorod and Novgorod district (a network of wayside cafes with bike-stands, bike rentals, bike repair service, stationary system of information about cycle routes and cycle events);
4) development of the programme of cyclists education in the field of traffic rules, countering bike thefts, self-service with a view to ensuring safety and organization of youth leisure;
2. To appoint a coordinator from the mayor’s office for the bike topic with the following duties and powers:
coordinating integration of the cycling community’s resources and events in other city events, which REQUIRES:
1) coordinating cyclists’ direct access to design organizations for joint consultations,
2) supervising working out and dates of approving of the local normative act regulating variants of arrangement of bicycle tracks and other elements of cycle-infrastructure;
3) coordinating consideration of entrepreneurs’ financial proposals regarding arrangement of the city’s cycle-infrastructure with authorities;
4) supervising the work of authorities on substantiating the need to amend the traffic rules with regard to introduction of new “cycling” signs and, consequently, amendment to construction norms with the possibility of preparing a letter to the RF Government with the proposal of a legislative initiative for introduction of such changes;
5) supervising the funding for sending delegates to annual conferences after Veliky Novgorod joins the ECF (European Cyclists Federation).
3. To make a representative of the cycling community a member of the Town-planning Council in a consultative capacity on issues of planning of the city’s cycle-infrastructure.
Documentation and documents
• http://schweg.nov.ru/Fahrradweg/Press – publications and stories about “VELO-VELIKy Novgorod” project for development of the city’s cycle-infrastructure,
• http://www.veloveliky.ru – the forum of Novgorod’s cyclists
Cand. Sc. (Pedagogics), assistant professor of the department of journalism of Novgorod SU
President of NRKPOO “Logos” http://activity.natm.ru/?id=742 ,
member of the Public Chamber of the Novgorod region,
contact phone number (8 8162)654749, mobile 8-9517206225,
e-mail: email@example.com .
Data sources and references
Elena Mikhailova, Coordinator of “VELO-VELIKy Novgorod” project for development of the city’s cycle-infrastructure