Public Environment Information Centre
Detailed description of the Good Practice
Public Environment Information Centre operates In Kaunas City Municipality.
The centre was established when Kaunas City Municipality was implementing the project “Creation of the Centre of the Public Environment Information about Environment“.
Kaunas City Municipality Environment Protection Division has started active public environmental education activities since 1990. The gained experience played a high role in launching the first environmental project in Lithuania - “Creation of the Centre of the Public Environment Information about Environment“, committed for the improvement of Municipality’s activity.
Objectives of the Good Practice
The aim of the project - to develop environmental education and raise public awareness of environmental protection, in order to reduce the impact of economic activity and the development of urban infrastructure on air, water and soil pollution in Kaunas city.
Specific objectives (targets):
1) prepare the information package on environment for various society groups in accessible form;
2) provide information to the public about where and how you can get information about the environment;
3) improve working conditions for specialists of Environmental Protection Division, who are responsible for public awareness about the environment.
1) well-appointed and equipped Public Environment Information Centre in Kaunas City Municipality;
2) website in which information on the environment was updated during the implementation and is continuously updated after the end of the project;
3) library, which is often renewed with the latest environmental publications in Lithuanian and English languages;
4) video film on environmental protection in Kaunas “Preserve (it), this is yours!”;
5) informative leaflets, brochures on environment are published, seminars are organized and public information campaigns are also held;
6) bulletin “Environmental Protection in Kaunas is being issued annually by Environmental Protection Division
The project “Creation of the Centre of the Public Environment Information about Environment“ started in 2005 and was finished in 2007, but the practice is still being implemented and hopefully successfully will be carried on in the future.
Participants of the Good Practice
Public Environment Information Centre
hildren and youth, students, people of different age groups in community centres, municipal officials and other specialists (businessmen, educators, etc.).
Target group of the Good Practice
The main target groups include children and youth, students, people of different age groups in community centres, municipal officials and other specialists (businessmen, educators, etc.).
Funding of the Good Practice
The project was financed by the European Union structural funds under the Single Programming Document of the year 2004-2006 and by Kaunas City Municipality
More Details of the Good Practice
This practise is carried out following the policy of Kaunas City Environmental Protection Programme (1999), Kaunas City Strategic Development Plan 2005-2015, Kaunas Environmental Strategy 2006-2015. Successful implementation of the objectives reflected in programmes and strategies mentioned above is determined by the participation in the process of various specialists as well as general public. For this reason the role of environmental education seems to be particularly important.
In order to ensure that the public is actively involved in shaping environmental policy and involved into environmental decision-making, it is particularly important to create tools, which could help properly, effectively and timely disseminate information about the environment.
Every year the bulletin “Environmental Protection in Kaunas” is being issued, the articles are printed in the newspapers, information is provided in the website of the Municipality, inhabitants are informed about the relevant decisions in the field of the environmental protection through the issued informative leaflets and brochures.
+370 37 424563
Laisves al. 96 LT-44251
Data sources and references
Environmental Award 2009
UBC Commission on Environment