Detailed description of the Good Practice
So far, Vaxjo has coped with the crisis considerably better than many other municipalities, thanks to a positive and stable economy, as well as a consistent growth in population. In the county the downturn continues on the labour market, despite certain brighter areas of economic development. This deterioration can be clearly seen within all sectors. In order to minimise the effects of the financial crisis and the recession, the municipality has established a special "future group", with eight different working groups, who have formulated an offensive package of measures. The aim is to muster the strengths of the county and take advantage of the current recession to increase knowledge and exchange competences, ensure that the region receives a share of the government monies/ efforts and EU funds, create a feeling of optimism and belief in the future and at the same time run projects that benefit the growth and attractiveness of the region. Amongst other things the package contains the following:
- Investments in public premises, schools, nursery schools, sporting facilities, etc., shall be speeded up and possibly started earlier.
- The new construction of homes shall be maintained. The goal is to construct 600 new homes per year.
- Petition the Ministry of Industry, Employment and Communications and other state bodies to share part of the package of measures and monies that will be available in the near future, amongst other areas for infrastructure investments within the transport sector.
- To invite all recruitment companies to a discussion about the current situation and the future.
- Mapping of companies'competence/skills and training requirements.
- Extra labour market measures to facilitate young people's and long-term unemployed people's entry onto the labour market.
- Offensive efforts to stimulate the formation of new companies.
- Strengthen efforts to increase the number of female entrepreneurs.
- A special project with a clear, controlled focus on the development of trade and industry and new companies in rural areas.
- An innovation package surrounding R&D. Increased research funds for"wood-design-technology"
- A concentrated effort to promote our province Smaland as "The design region of Sweden".
* Create a physical climate centre. * Lift, market and package all the positive aspects that are happening, develop "The Greenest City in Europe"brand, highlight planned and on-going efforts within the cultural and leisure sections.
quality of life
Objectives of the Good Practice
to muster the strengths of the county and take advantage of the current recession to increase knowledge and exchange competences, ensure that the region receives a share of the government monies/ efforts and EU funds, create a feeling of optimism and belief in the future and at the same time run projects that benefit the growth and attractiveness of the region
Participants of the Good Practice
More Details of the Good Practice
Ms Charlotta Svanberg
Phone: +46 47041352
Data sources and references
Baltic Cities Bulletin 2/2009