Europen Mobility Week Campaign
Detailed description of the Good Practice
Krakow was the only Polish city that participated in the European Mobility Week (EMW) campaign in September 2002. The idea to organise the EMW in Krakow was the result of a joint undertaking initiated by the City of Krakow Government, Polish Environmental Partnership Foundation and the Association for the Development of Nowa Huta, in co-operation with 28 partners from the public, business and NGOs sectors.
The campaign was preceded by a press conference at the City of Krakow Government Office which brought together most of the event organisers. Thanks to this conference, newspapers, radio and television were present during the entire EMW.
Different themes were associated to each day of the EMW:
- seminars on public transport,
- presentation of free fuel combustion and exhaust regulation system for cars, check up of cars exhaust gases and referral to check up service stations,
- opening of a new bicycle trail,
- lecture about the health benefits of walking and cycling
- a bike rally and a boat trip along Greenways in the city with city officers, seminar “Greenways inside the City of Krakow”,
- day of Culture Heritage of Nowa Huta – a special deal allowing access to places usually closed to the public,
- free trams, bicycle contests and rallies… etc.
Sustainable mobility, sustainable urban planning
Objectives of the Good Practice
1 To raise awareness of citizens for sustainable mobility.
2 To promote local projects and associations.
3 To change the behaviour of the citizens.
Participants of the Good Practice
Initiator : Municipality of Krakow, Polish Environmental Partnership Foundation and the Association for the Development of Nowa Huta
Partners : Local businesses, city offices, NGOs, schools, public and private companies
Target group of the Good Practice
Citizens of Krakow
Funding of the Good Practice
The following local partners have contributed to the organisation and financing of the EMW 2002:
- Association for the Development of Nowa Huta: 1,500 €
- Polish Environmental Partnership Foundation: 2,500 €
- XVIth Secondary School: 500 €
- Sacrosong Foundation: 500 €
- Company MPK – the City Public Transport Operator: 1,500 €
- Polish Ecological Club: 1,000 €
More Details of the Good Practice
Documentation and documents
City of Krakow
Os. Zgody 2
Phone number : +48 12 644 00 25 or +48 12 644 3
Fax number : +48 12 644 78 08 or +48 12 644 0
Data sources and references
www.smile-europe.org (Visited on the 10th of October 2008)