Vauban - Sustainable Model District
Detailed description of the Good Practice
In the south of Freiburg, on the former area of a French barrack site, Vauban, a new district has been developed for more than 5,000 inhabitants and 600 jobs. It has been built as "a sustainable model district" in a co-operative, participatory way which meets ecological, social, economical and cultural requirements.
Sustainable urban planning
Objectives of the Good Practice
The objective was to create a city district in a co-operative, participatory way which meets ecological, social, economical and cultural requirements such as:
- privileges to car-free living
- all buildings constructed at least with improved low energy standard
- extensive use of ecological building material and solar energy
- district centre with shops for the daily needs
- neighbourhood center for social interaction, cultural events etc.
- family and children friendliness
Participants of the Good Practice
- City of Freiburg
- Forum Vauban (NGO)
- Öko-Institut, Institute for applied Ecology
- ICLEI's International Training Centre (ITC)
- Freiburger Energie- und Wasserversorgungs-AG (Freiburg's public utilities FEW)
- Freiburger Auto-Gemeinschaft FAG (Freiburg's Car Sharing Association)
Target group of the Good Practice
Citizens living in Vauban district.
Funding of the Good Practice
City of Freiburg has been the main investor.
More Details of the Good Practice
One of the key concepts developed through the Forum Vauban was the creation of a car-free neighborhood. While cars are allowed in the Vauban, their use and ownership is restricted. Streets are shared spaces primarily designed for people, not cars. Using a car has been restricted by effective methods: owning a car means that you have to pay €18,000 a year to park it in one of the multistorey 'Solar Garages' on the outskirts of the quarter. On the main thoroughfare there is a speed limit of 30km per hour. Bicycle road network is outstanding, as well as public transportation system (tram). To date, 40 percent of households have chosen to live car-free.
Documentation and documents
City of Freiburg im Breisgau
Phone: +49 (0) 761/201 10 25
Fax: +49 (0) 761/201 10 98
LBBW Immobilien Kommunalentwicklung GmbH
als Treuhänderin der Stadt Freiburg
Fax: +49 (0) 761 / 201 - 4046
Data sources and references
www.vauban.de (Visited on the 29th of January 2009)